Sunday, August 11, 2013

Blog Response Four

Ethan Skinner
Mrs. Wagener
AP English
8/11/2013
Blog Response Four
            In the Kant chapter of Sophie’s world, Alberto uses a pair of red-tinted glasses to show Sophie a different perspective on the world. The idea is that, when Sophie wears the glasses, they only allow red light to reach her eyes, and she therefore sees the world from a perspective different from the one she is used to. Alberto does this in order to give an example of what Kant believed, which is that all people limitations on their minds which govern how we view the world around us. Kant was referring to more meta-physical limitations, like how time and space affect our views of reality. However, I find that this view of how perspective can be limited can just as easily be applied to the everyday aspects of our lives.

            In my life, I find that questions of perspective can often be incredibly fascinating. In the eyes of most people in the world, I lead a very privileged life. There is a roof over my head, I have food to eat, I have a good job and a nice car. My problems are only problematic from the perspective of someone as privileged as I am. I have found that, in order to truly determine what is important in life, you must think of the people who are the most downtrodden and unfortunate, and imagine how they view the world. What I’m driving at is that the perspective of someone who lives in a third-world country would be drastically different from mine, and the only way to truly appreciate what I have is to try and view myself from the perspective of those less fortunate than myself. It is because of this that questions of perspective apply (or should apply) to every aspect of my life.

1 comment: